Everything You Need To Know About Tramadol – History | Types | Ingredients | Precautions
Tramadol is taken as a pain medication by the patients suffering from mild to severe pain. This drug is also considered as a narcotic drug that helps in giving relief from pain. This tablet is also available in the immediate and extended-release form. However, it shall not be taken without taking proper consideration from a health expert.
Many people may not know that Tramadol is a generic form of the drug. It’s brand name is Ultram, that is a bit higher in rate as compared to the generic medicine. The same extended and immediate-release form of the drug comes under the brand name as well. Tramadol is put under the controlled substance due to the effects that may occur after a while. It is important to take Tramadol under the close supervision of a doctor or physician.
Drugs that belong to the opioid family are often used to treat similar conditions. Tramadol too is an opioid medication that helps give relief from pain. There can be other uses of Tramadol apart from the one mentioned here. It can also be a part of other combinational drugs that may provide a person with the maximum advantage of the medication.
What Are The Bad Side Effects Of Tramadol?
Till now, we have learned till now that Tramadol is an opioid (narcotic) drug that is taken for pain relief treatment. Like other narcotic drugs, Tramadol can slow your breathing. At times, there can be fatal reactions due to this symptom. To be more cautious about the use of Tramadol, you should have a person next to you while you are under the effect of the drug.
Some of the side effects of Tramadol that generally occur are:
- Stomach pain
- Feeling tired
- Heat burn or rashes
- Dryness in the mouth
Apart from these, the side effects that can have serious health issues are:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Weight loss
- Low blood pressure
- Feeling fainted
- Discomfort in the whole body
- Lack of coordination
- Disturbance in viewing things
- Difficulty in breathing
- Respiratory problems
People may or may not get affected by these side effects. However, it is important to have complete information about the drug and its usage. One should keep a note on these side effects and inform them of the health expert if they started getting worse.
Points That You Need Follow: Tramadol Prescription And Contraindications
Patients who are allergic to the use of pain medication or drugs similar in functioning with Tramadol are advised not to take this drug. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind before taking the drug –
- If you have conditions like breathing problems or respiratory issues, inform the doctor and take the drug after that.
- If you have a blockage in the stomach or intestine, do not take Tramadol under such conditions.
- If you have taken a tranquilizer or narcotic medication in recent times, avoid taking Tramadol for better health and not incurring any side effects.
- The use of alcohol or any other sedative should be completely avoided while you are on a daily intake of Tramadol.
- A person who has used an MAO inhibitor within the last 14 days shall not be taking Tramadol as a pain medication.
- Tramadol is not prescribed for children below the age of 12. The extended versions are strictly restricted for people below the age of 18 or so.
- This medicine is not supposed to be given to people who are less than 18 years and are going for surgery. Giving this drug at a younger age may cause serious conditions like breathing problems.
- Seizures may also occur when a person takes Tramadol. It is especially seen when the person already has a history of epilepsy or seizures.
- This could trigger a sudden reaction in the body if Tramadol got mixed with any other drug, such as – antidepressants, opioids, muscle relaxants, or any other drug.
How To Take Tramadol: Tramadol Mechanism Of Action
Patients who haven’t taken an opioid medication in the past are advised to follow the details given on the prescription. You can ask your doctor if you have any queries related to the use of medicine. It is important to take Tramadol as per the guidelines are given in the prescription form of the drug.
Also, do not take Tramadol in large quantities or for a longer time period. If in case the drug isn’t working on your body, inform it to the health expert. Taking precautions for the drug will help you have to benefit the effects of the drug.
The content of the drug, Tramadol, can be habitual to a person’s health. Hence, using it for a prolonged time can cause side effects that can be severe as well. Any patient who has a history of drug abuse or misuse shall not be taking Tramadol. Taking a doctor’s advice is very much needed before you start with your dose of Tramadol.